Friday, April 7, 2023

Grandma's Sunshine Cake

While planning for Easter dinner, I looked for and found my grandmother's handwritten recipe for Sunshine Cake. I also found a letter attached to it, penned to me when I was a young mom. From her Wisconsin apartment, Grandma wrote about a "mixed up" neighbor who smashed her apartment door window; then ran in his "scant swimsuit" across the street. She detailed her time at the coffee shop where she drank too much coffee. She added tips about the cake and mentioned if it "squeaks" you know it's moist and good. 

She asked if I'd sew her a Christmas stocking because she had never had one. "You don't have to put any material things in it, only your love." The letter concluded "Love to you my Honey Bee. P.S. - Am so glad you are enjoying your family so much. This makes me happy, too, you know. Grandma."

What better sunshine could I ask for this Easter weekend than a memory of grandma love? Thankful.

No comments: