Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Learning to Trust


When I left my puppy at PetSmart yesterday for a grooming, she cried out in anxiety. It tore my heart out. It reminded me of my own human kids years ago when they felt vulnerable and small and I had to leave them at daycare to go to work. In those days I was able to quit my job, start my own business, or change my schedule to help them sometimes. But somewhere along the line, through these experiences, the child (and puppy) learned to trust others.

It’s part of our life isn’t it? We cannot always be in control or have things the way we plan or desire. Sometimes we have to yield and hope for the best. Often we have to take risks and step into the unknown. Often we have to be at someone else's mercy. Hopefully that person is kind, compassionate, and understanding.

As a child, King David understood this. Alone in a field, pretty much abandoned by his family, he learned to trust an unseen Friend - enough to write songs with verses like "He sets the lonely in families," and " I fear no one! I'll never turn back and run from you, Lord; surround and protect me."

Psalm 68:6 and Psalm 27

P.S. The rest of the story... Daisy did great after all and loved her groomer and afternoon of pampering!

No comments: