Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Flowers in My Genes

When I was very young, my dad had a beautiful garden. There was a rose bed with several kinds of vintage roses; and there were annual beds with dozens of different species of happy, colorful flowers. Tulips, Iris, and Daffodils lined our shrub gardens all around the house in the Spring. I loved working with him in the garden, tilling soil and picking off dead flowers. One by one, he taught me the name of every flower. To this day I remember them all. I have many in my own gardens now, and I love to compliment them every morning. The Texas winter is difficult for them. Short days and cold temps threaten. But somehow the strong survive and how happy they make my heart when they bloom on sunny winter days.

They show me how to celebrate even through dark, cold seasons.

No comments: