Friday, March 31, 2023

When Less is More

One day in college, I sat in a group at the feet of a long-haired, bearded student who was talking about something so intellectual and deep that I could not understand him. Perhaps it was me just not being smart enough. When he was finished, I went up and told him how I felt. He graciously received my comment. 

Normally I'm not this bold. I shocked myself and that's why I remember this little snippet.

But I think writers and speakers really want to be understood. Is it insecurity that makes us sometimes get so lofty with words? In the 70s, there was even an "accent" hippies would use to sound brainy. 

Just tell me your stories. Teach me through word pictures. Come into my space and make me feel part of your space. That's how I learn.

It was at that moment with this intellectual guru that I realized everyone doesn't think like me. I do respect and honor you if you're different. But I also want to speak up for those of us who feel less is more.

Check out resources for writers on my website at www.christinetracy.com


No comments: